UKIM is one of the premier faith based civil society organisations working in the UK to serve the needs of the Muslim community in the UK. UKIM is going through a major organisational reform to re-establish itself as an effective civil society organisation and fulfil its mission. The reform includes major changes at governance and executive level and relocating its Head Office from London to Oldham.
The job holder is expected to provide inclusive and visionary leadership that inspires, engages and motivates employees, supporters and partners. To deliver UKIM’s vision and mission and to develop the organisation’s leading position within UK’s civil society community.
Applicants should be sympathetic to Islamic principles and values and have a solid understanding & experience of Muslim communities in the UK.
How to apply
If you have what it to takes to be part of this interesting and promising journey, please press the apply button.
If you would like more information on this vacancy, please contact us via email.
- Professional HR and Governance experience to work with our Trustees and Executive team to ensure the charity is run to high standards of governance, in accordance with our founding documents, external standards and good practice.
- To assist the Head of GRC & PC in acting as an intermediary between the board and wider organisation, acquiring key information and driving good process to ensure governance processes deliver effective outcomes in support of the charity.
- To assist in ensuring the charity is run in line with our memorandum & articles, leading on any updates required to governing documents.
- To assist in ensuring the board and sub-committee terms of reference and delegations are clear, up to date and acted on.
- Proactively identify and act on opportunities to improve on board and governance effectiveness, including running the annual board review process.
- Work with the board of Trustees to ensure effectiveness of board meetings - including scheduling governance meetings, developing meeting agendas, collating and issuing board packs, taking quality minutes and maintaining the actions log, following up on delivery.
- Manage Trustee administration, including all processes for appointments, re-appointment and resignation, as well as effective induction and onboarding.
- Ensure Trustee training is up to date and maintain awareness of changes in compliance regime.
- Support the Head of GRC & PC to strategise and lead on organisational development activities and projects, for the whole UKIM.
- Manage the risk register process, ensuring registers are comprehensive, up to date, regularly reviewed and that actions are being delivered.
- Manage the policy register, ensuring all necessary policies are in place and that they are reviewed to schedule.
- Manage insurance, acting as key liaison for our broker, ensuring robust inputs to the renewal process, responding to insurer questions, ensuring the board is aware of developments and that proposals are presented for approval.
- Ensure compliance with all statutory submission and notification requirements.
- To develop thorough governance processes across the whole UKIM, including the governance management of the branches, zones and departments.
- To manage all of the governance matter relating to Membership across the whole of UKIM.
- To provide leadership to the Governance / HR Department through clear procedures and processes for meeting the strategic objectives of UKIM.
- To line manage all employees within the Governance Department at Head Office.
- To be responsible for the provision of high-quality HR services, lead in recruitment & selection, as well as in the design and implementation of learning & development initiatives.
- To have comprehensive knowledge of UK employment law.
- To be responsible for administering all people operational processes and keeping all HR administration and documentation up-to-date.
- To respect the unique contribution of every individual and work positively in an equal opportunity and diverse environment.
- Any other duties commensurate with the accountabilities of the role.
- Educated to postgraduate level or equivalent.
- Professional governance experience, with extensive knowledge and practical understanding of Company Law, Charity Law, and effective governance.
- Experience managing governance meetings, including scheduling, managing agendas, collating inputs, preparing and issuing required documentation and working with Chairs to ensure effective meeting outcomes.
- Experience taking accurate and meaningful minutes, identifying clear actions and following up on their progress.
- Ability to translate governance requirements and best practise into practical actions appropriate to the organisation.
- Experience in a stand-alone HR role, developing and implementing HR policies, recruitment campaigns and L&D initiatives.
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Good IT skills with an ability to understand the intelligent use of IT within the finance environment.
- Ability to think and plan strategically.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to delegate, follow-up and supervise as well as support.
- Ability to work well on own initiative.
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines and adapt to change.
- Flexibility to work additional hours as necessary to fulfil the requirements of the role and meet the organisation’s needs.
- Commit to withhold the integrity and standards of UKIM, its values, approach and priorities.
£25,000 - £30,000